Sunday 6 March 2016

Words Work

Recently I’ve been feeling a little uncomfortable at how my friend has been acting and speaking. Originally it made me cringe a little and desperately wish she’d stop. To me, it felt like she was losing herself, constantly trying to prove herself and really trying to become a different person. Of course, of course, re-inventing yourself doesn’t mean it’s a particularly bad thing and if I’m honest, I was hesitant about writing this post because I wasn’t sure it’s anything to do with me. Except, after, as I spoke to her, she assured me it was my place to intervene.

The cringing lead to me feeling a bit frustrated and more recently, genuinely quite irritated. I could see she has been really happy recently and I would never begrudge her of this for a second, and when I spoke to her about it I told her just this. But she was making slightly careless comments. She was seeming a little arrogant. And I wondered if maybe she was a little lost. 

She’s one of my closest friends but I could feel myself withdrawing from her because I just felt she was so distant from who she previously was. Upon speaking to her about it she agreed with me and she took it all very gracefully. I assured her everything could be lost in translation and I was very aware I was going to be upsetting me with my words and I apologised… a lot. But my goodness it struck me how important words are.

She was thankful I said anything- she was happy with the honesty. I expect I did hurt her feelings and for anything I said that could have been unjust, I sincerely apologised for. It showed me how important words are. I could have said something months ago and my frustration would have diminished. I actually didn’t because I was working out if I was right and if maybe she was just putting herself across differently.

Honestly, I’m not sure what the case is but I’m so glad I told my good friend my feelings. At the end of the day, we need to communicate. We need to put our feelings across, and my friend needed to do the same back to me. It was not an argumentative conversation at all and I’m so grateful for that. Words are so important. We need to speak to each other, let our feelings out because it just seems to end up being the better option with the better outcome.

Ultimately we both realised how talking about how I felt and her explaining a lot made for two people who ended up being incredibly happy! We had a lovely chat and I understood so much. Words are so important; we need to remember that.

Honesty & Words,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. I'm blogging twice every day this month- you can read my last post HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...