Friday 11 March 2016

That Approval Thing

I read the awesome article Cara Delevingne wrote (which you can read HERE!) and it's ultimately about how the most important thing is to have your own approval; to be happy yourself and to please yourself. She explains how she would work super hard and still, some people wouldn't be happy. And she'd feel frustrated. She was also proud of herself and her achievements but not "genuinely happy."

Her article made me really think. In all aspects of my life so far, whether in a big way or a small way, other peoples' approval has probably crossed my mind at some point. Strive to get good grades because that's what impresses others (and of course myself). Strive to be fit because that impresses others (and myself). Strive to be the best at the things I'm good at because people admire that kind of thing (as do I). I need to almost abolish this consciousness of others and make sure I am living this life for us.

Of course there is a level of balance- we can't just ignore other people. We just need to make sure we are truly happy in what we are doing, and when we not, we need to evaluate whether making an activity stressful because we aren't focussing enough on our own needs. And if so, we need to make sure we are being a good kind of selfish: we are working hard for us; we are being fit for us; we are perfecting a talent for us.

Cara makes a point that success isn't everything and it can't take form in many different aspects of our lives. This is so crucial! I don't just find pride in doing well in education- or it would be incredibly stressful when I don't do as well. I find pride in my running; my writing; my love of my friends and family. And I know that's something I balance really well. I know how to keep myself grounded. But I also know that I do need and want to work hard with things such as education.

She also brings up how there is a type of passion that creates this contentment. In my experience (before having gotten my first full time job and fully entering the adult world), I feel truly happy when I'm healthy, happy and choosing to do the activities I love, as much as possible.

Fulfilment & Contentment,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. I'm blogging twice a day for a month and you can read my last post HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...