Tuesday 8 March 2016

Think Parity | International Women's Day

Today is an awesome day- International Women's Day. It's a day that allows for the needs of women across the world to be reinforced; as they should be every second of every day. It's a day for celebrating women and all of our achievements, and showing the world (as we try to every day) how much more needs to be done. Through word of mouth and social media we can use this day to celebrate women, but more importantly encourage change. Encourage this awesome movement for women to fly- to really get somewhere.

I had a look around the International Women's Day website this morning (HERE!) which I highly recommend everyone to do. In doing so, I actually came across a word that was obviously incredibly vital to the campaign - and now I understand why - and it was one I hadn't ever heard of. I really worry that I hadn't heard of it before today, but all the same, I'm glad I have a better understanding now. Parity. For those who don't know, parity means being equal, and it strongly refers to equal pay.

Parity. I'm aware of how lucky I am and yet I still face too many struggles when it comes to equality. And yet so many areas of the world are so far behind- some refuse to move on. Parity is a word many would find disgusting. Ridiculous. And it makes me beyond frustrated. Think of the women who are working tirelessly to provide for their families while they don't receive the money they deserve. Think about the women who are raped because of their families' "shame" (a concept which is all naturally disgusting anyway). Think of the girls who are taken out of education to become a wife. A mother. And it's "okay" because it's their culture.

I'm beyond angry at humankind.

I must talk about the influential and amazing women in my life that have inspired me.

One of my best friends who will always stick up for the goodness she believes in. She's kind, she's outrageously funny, she's gay (some would call this an irrelevant piece of information; and it is. But I know her sexuality is something she is most proud of so she should be!) and she's an amazing woman. She puts the world to shame for ever putting women down just because of her gender. Like we all do.

There's my mum. Quiet, smart and stronger than you could even believe. She loves Sudoku and talks excitedly about her day when she gets home from work. She is respected and she is worthy of the awesome opinions that surround her. She taught me not to be horrible about anyone and she taught me to stand up for what I believe in. Now there's an awesome mum. Teaching me things every man or woman should teach a child.

I guess I should talk about me a little too. I was about to write, "not because I'm amazing or inspiring" but I think I should definitely not add that. As women, we should believe that. So what am I proud of myself about? I am aware most people I come across think I'm nice. That's awesome. But people think I'm funny. And passionate about things I believe in. Like this. Parity. And I think I'm nice and quite frankly, I think I'm hilarious. And I am passionate.

Today is about encourage everyone to be passionate about this issue.

At the weekend I was told feminism is ridiculous and selfish. And I passionately told them, that opinion is ridiculous. International Women's Day stands for all women; all across the world. Think women. Think parity. Think awesome.

Nice & Passionate,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. This month I am posting twice a day- you can read my last post HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...