Thursday 3 March 2016

The Teachings of Reading

It's World Book Day and as a blogger who adores talking about books, I thought I really must talk about it this year! Reading is one of my favourite hobbies. I adore getting sucked into different worlds and lives and characters' minds. I adore reading books by all-time favourites/books by authors I haven't read anything by before/finding different genres and trying those out too! Today I want to talk about a few things reading really has taught me!

Authors really do purposefully put links in their stories, there are metaphors and the weather really can determine a character's mood! I think up until GCSE I was a bit "meh, do they?!" about it all, but they really do! I learnt that at GCSE and definitely realised it more and more at A-Level! Now I read and I pick up on all of these techniques authors use and it definitely makes for awesome writing!

I have learnt the love of a book that is kept beautifully and the beauty of a book that is completely loved- slightly bent and yellowed! I love both of these versions of a book because it shows the history that went alongside reading it. A book is a good friend to me when I'm reading it. I love it for the words I read and I love it for the form it was, is and becomes when I read it.

Reading lets your imagination enter the room. I adore that. Reading teaches my imagination and creativity so much. You read about characters- their appearance; their traits; their being. We create this mental image in our minds. How cool is that?! Sometimes I actually forget to think about what I think characters look like and yet I still have their voice or way of being in my mind.

What has reading taught you? Happy World Book Day!

Pages & Words,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. I am blogging twice every day in March; HERE is my last post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...