Tuesday 1 March 2016

Georgia Nicolson and Me

I have been absolutely devastated since learning of Louise Rennison's passing. The author wrote the Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging series; a series that I absolutely adored and still do. The story and characters of the books stuck with me since, partially because of how funny the series is and partially because of the heart and charm that oozes out of the books.

For those who don't know, there are ten books is this series about Georgia Nicolson. Her story is told through her diary which gives it a hilariously honest touch. We read about Georgia's teenage years while she struggles to stay out of arguments with her family and her best friends, and struggles understanding boys and all that's in between. We find her quirky words endearing; she sometimes annoys us; we always root for her.

Because these books have always been some of my absolute favourites, I thought I would pay tribute to the absolutely awesome author by talking about some personal memories I associate to the series.

Reading the first instalment of this series made me feel like such an adult. It makes me grin thinking about it. I felt that bit more grown up reading about Georgia's silly stories with boys and I was just so excited to turn every page and read more and more about her life.

My best friend and I always exchanged notes on the books and when Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging was released as a film we were so excited! We got to the cinema, bought a lot of sweets and excitedly waiting for the film of the story we adored. I like that memory a lot.

I adored spending my pocket money on these books. I'd go out straight away at the weekend when I'd finished the previous book or I'd ask my dad to pick it up and I was always so excited to have it in my hands. The covers are so colourful and unique and I love looking at them on my bookshelf. Those covers are a piece of my growing up that I'm very grateful for.

I remember when the final book was released and I finally had it in my hands and it was my brother's prom. Something else I was super I excited for. With my new shiny book on my lap, I was urgently reading the opening pages, not wanting my parents to park up because that meant having to part with the end of Georgia's story as we would know it. It makes me feel warm thinking back to this! And hey seeing my brother ready at prom was awesome, and so is the last book!

Finally, I have to note the ending to the last novel as one of my all-time favourite memories associated with the books. I cried. I cried because I was super happy with the ending. I grinned and laughed and I was gutted I'd finished the series but so happy it was so awesome.

Thank you Louise!

Giggles & Memories,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. I'm blogging twice a day every day in March- HERE is my last post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...