Monday 26 January 2015

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

Here I am, skipping through 2015 with my second book review- oooo, I'm excited! Today, I bring a review about the gorgeous and delicate novel, If I Stay by Gayle Forman.
























This story is a heart-breaking yet warm story. It's a novel that suited my wintery nights very well and I am grateful for it. Written by Gayle Forman, If I Stay is about a girl called Mia and very much so about her past before a tragic turn of events crashed into her life. All the while, it is very much so about her future. There is a haunting decision she faces.

I've not read a book similar to this before. That her past is captured in the very essence of the novel allows for us to indulge in her pain. The pain she is experiencing is one I wouldn't like to write down in words in case of the chance of ruining anything for anyone; but it's a sudden, upsetting event that allows for a lot of change in Mia's life. Reading about a character's past - about memories she holds close or remembers well - is a refreshing way to read a book because I wasn't expecting overwhelming sadness or complications that were held in the past. It was nice to happily experience a happy life. It did, of course, make the rest that sour feeling that made the book so gripping.

The characters in the novel make it all the more lovely:

♡ Mia: In love with music, Mia plays the cello. With a possible future of Julliard, Mia enjoys her life with a rockstar boyfriend, her best friend and a close family, she is a character I admire. Her character is charming. She is modest but incredibly talented, able to create magic for people to hear with her playing of the cello.

♡ Mia's family: Mia's mother, father and brother (along with Mia) create a very endearing family. Those "family" things we assign to the word are knitted easily into their family while Mia's mother and father adore punk music and always will!

♡ Adam: Mia's boyfriend, Adam is a musician and the love he feels for music is the love Mia feels for music. It makes the perfect match.

♡ Kim: Mia's best friend, Kim is a lot like Mia. Quiet and talented, they make the best of friends. Their friendship is one built on hatred that lead to something very strong.

But that's not it: There are other characters in If I Stay that make it ooze charm. If I Stay is lovely. The only thing that made me 100% delighted to let go of the words of Gayle Forman's in this novel is this: There's a sequel! Where She Went is the next novel and I can't wait to get stuck into it!

Cellos & Guitars,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

7 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I read it in a day and thought it was really good!
    Love
    Pili
    pils13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored this book! I cried so much throughout the book at Mia's memories with her friends and family, and the whole thing was just written beautifully! I actually bought the second book the other day and I can't wait to read it!!

    xx
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, the memories do make the sadness so poignant, don't they!? Ooo, I can't wait too!

      Delete
  3. Read this book in one go, on my ride back home. It gave me so many emotions and since they all tend to show on my face, there is no doubt in my mind that the other passengers on the train thought I was bipolar or crazy. But it is a great book! Have you seen the movie?

    ~Cielo~
    buildingtheconfidence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading this book and I had to check your blog because I knew you made a book review! I agree whole heartedly with how you described the book - heartbreaking but warm. The movie was also really good! Have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this excites me so much! The novel is so lovely. I haven't- but I really can't wait to!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...