Wednesday 26 February 2014

Book Swap | The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman





















My awesome blogging buddy, Simona recommended a book to me and I recommended one to her as part of a blogging book swap. We read them and then reviewed them and I'm excited to be posting my review of The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman. I recommended I Love the 80s by Megan Crane for Simona to read and you can read her review HERE.























The Life List is a sweet and charming read with a plot that's unique and gripping.

Brett Bohlinger should be envied. She has a handsome, rich boyfriend. Her friends and family love her. She has the perfect job. She has a fabulous loft. She should be envied... right? It takes the death of her wonderful mother to make her realise just how imperfect her life really is. Devastated and torn apart, it takes all of her will not to scream when she finds out she hasn't, after all, received her inheritance and has to complete a challenge first. And this challenge is big. She is reminded of a list she wrote when she was fourteen that her mother kept. Only there were many goals that aren't completed. There are goals remaining like having a baby and buying a horse. To receive her inheritance, Brett must complete these goals.

When my copy of The Life List came through the post, the first thing that struck me as awesome (as well as the pretty front cover) was the plot. This book isn't simply a love story. It's a life story. Brett's fourteen year old dreams were forgotten along the way and during this time she'd convinced herself that these dreams were the furthest from synonymous to her current dreams. Mother knows best, though.

Brett's character is more than pleasing. Despite forgetting her goals along the way, Brett is motivated and her ambition shines through, with and without a push from her mother. She may have not found her old goals compatible with her life initially but soon she's completing them without even realising.

Throughout the novel Brett is looking for love and it's the sweetest rollercoaster ride.

There were two friendships I adored throughout the novel, one being the friendship between Brett and her mother. Even though she's not alive throughout the novel, their relationship is felt and her presence is still beside Brett despite her death. Her mother knew her so well and Brett knew her mother too. They were best friends. I also fell in love with the friendship of Brett and Brad. They are the sort of friends who bounce off of each other perfectly and it made me want a Brad in my life.

The novel is refreshing and a reminder to the reader that materialistic things don't have to be the goal but the ones that you promise yourself you'll reach when you're younger (or other similar goals).

I enjoyed doing this with Simona and if anyone else likes the idea of it, feel free to tweet me HERE or write a comment below because I would love to do it again! Simona would love to do it again too and you can Tweet her HERE!

Burberry Coats & Phone Calls,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. Thanks to Simona for making the banner!

12 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I need to add this book to the 'to buy' list!

    http://starsandspaceandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey wonderful lady! We did it YAY! Loved reading your review xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a cool idea! We should set a larger book swap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fab idea! I'd love to do a book swap with you if you're interested? x

    http://realityleaveslotstoimagination.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far I haven't seen many bloggers blogging about books. Love it! Would you like to follow eachother? I will follow you on GFC anyway :)

    Miss Annie @ www.missannieway.blogspot.com - Photography & adventures

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...