Saturday 7 December 2013

My 5 Favourite Musicals

Musicals and the theatre have always excited me. Maybe it's a desire to become that stereotypical middle class Englishperson who eats tea and scones (which I am definitely partial to) and the reminder that I am not makes me love the theatre all the more*. Today, I want to write a post about my favourite musicals but I refuse to put them in order of preferance. Therefore, the musicals I will discuss are more or less joint first!

First of all I want to talk about Wicked. This musical had hold of my heart as soon as I heard the soundtrack a years ago. I listened to it over and over again, belting Defying Gravity (badly) every day, longing to finally see the musical. Then I did. It's essentially the ultimate story of people refusing to look past the cover of a book without judging. As a result of years of segregation, Elphaba becomes isolated and became used to it until she and Glinda become friends. During the beauty of the moral and melodies, Elphaba is on a journey to fulfil righteousness in Oz. It's full of sweet, up-lifting and heart-breaking moments that caused me to cry in a few places throughout.

Les Miserables is definitely a favourite of mine. I spoke about it HERE and I could speak about it for five more blogposts. Based on The French Revolution and a love triangle that breaks my heart, Les Mis is dramatic and sweet and exciting. My whole family sat, captivated by the storyline and music when we saw it. It's truly magical.

Hairspray is always the soundtrack to my mum and I's baking sessions. Hairspray is exactly what I picture when someone talks about the sixties and it makes me want to style my hair "big" and dance along to a TV show. With a teen called Tracy Turnblad ready to take on the world of stardom during a battle of harsh segregation, she shows America how the world should be. Seeing Hairspray at the theatre was a magical experience. It's so uplifting and motivational. It's an absolute favourite to watch when I'm sat at home ill or when I have an urge to sing along.

Grease was the first musical that I became obsessed with, watching it every single day when I was ten years old. Watching it now, I realise how inappropriate it was for me to watch but Sandy and Danny were the couple of my childhood along with all of my friends as they seem to be perfect for each other and yet so different too. With high school not living up to their perfect summer romance, Grease is the perfect "break out in dance" musical that makes me wish it was acceptable to sing at the picnic benches at lunch time.

A few summers ago I saw Legally Blonde The Musical. It really was awesome. It made me laugh and bop along to the music in it. It's a fabulous adaptation of the film and is perfectly charming. In the hope to win Warner back, Elle throws herself into the world of law and turns out to be pretty good at it. The film is a classic and I really do believe the musical is genius.

I used to do posts like this every now and then and as I enjoyed them so much, I thought I'd talk about musicals! I feel like I should mention that Dirty Dancing would be on this list but I wasn't sure whether it was a musical or not. What are your favourite musicals? I will actually be posting another "My 5 Favourite..." in a week and a bit and I'm excited about that one too! I have been posting every day in December and you can read about that HERE.

Singing & Dancing,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

*I think I'm satirising the class divide of England. Or maybe I just want to wear ball gowns and have handmade fans for the British summer in my well-kept garden. I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. I love Wicked, Grease and Les Miserables so much glad I'm not the only one who loves a good musical:)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your voice of topic ;) I was actually also planning this as a post in the next few weeks =) Great choices of Musicals. You know I love Les Mis and Wicked is awesome!!! And Hairspray and Grease are great too. Don't know Legally Blonde yet though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D That's awesome. I can't wait to read it! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...