Friday 7 February 2014

"When I'm Older I..."

"When I'm older I will be a top clothes designer who lives in London and eats at a restaurant for dinner every single night," my best friend says to me. Two years later, she turns to me and says, "When I'm older I will live in London and be a personal assistant of a celebrity... Kylie's, hopefully." The next day she says, "When I'm older I will run a business... in London."

While my best friend, over the years, has decided ("I will most definitely own a cafĂ© in Covent Garden!") who she will be when she is "older", I'd sit quietly, wondering who it is I will be when the days of deciding are here. Sure, my best friend has changed her mind since her dream of running a business but her current aim has stayed for a good while and she's on her way to figuring it out. One thing that hasn't changed, though: London. Then there's me and the one thing that hasn't changed: I am still clueless.

*Turns to mother.* "When I'm older, can I be a professional fangirl?" As my mother frowns, it is confirmed: I really have no idea what my future will be.

My future will not just be focussed around my career. I hope there will be lots of other attributes to my life but I always have the fear of not knowing what career I am looking for when I leave university.

I love to write. I really love to write. Yet, that's all I really know.

Do all of us ever really decide? Maybe I will one day. For now, I'm eighteen and not even the slightest bit sure what my career will be. A lot of adults wave their hand dismissively and say that being so young means I don't have to have it figured out; they then say it never really matters at all. Then, why do I worry about it every now and then? Maybe I won't know in ten years time after a plethora of jobs or even one job as to what I will be "when I am older"; maybe I will know. All I know for sure is that I won't force myself to decide a career when my heart's not screaming a certain career at the top of its voice.

Do you know what to be when you're "older"? Or, what you're going to be very soon? Are you in that career right now? There are a plethora of situations you might be in - I think that's the point of this post.

London & A Takeaway Coffee,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

My Bloglovin', if you're interested!

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, love. I'm 23 and still just as clueless as to what I really want to do with my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think you would make an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can be happily clueless together!

      Secondly, that means a LOT. Thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...